Sunday, December 30, 2012

Easy Going

I haven't had much to write (complain) about lately so I've been pretty quiet. As of today I am 22 weeks and 2 days pregnant, cruising right along and well past the halfway mark. I am estimating I have about 3.5 months left but we won't know for sure til I get a little further along and we are how my poor uterus is holding up.

About that, with my last pregnancy 7 years ago, during my c-section the doctor saw what he called a "uterine window". At the time he scared me badly and made me feel like this was a major life threatening emergency akin to a uterine rupture. He actually asked me while lying cut open on the table if I wanted him to tie my tubes right then and there. Of course, I said no way. I can't make such an important decision under duress. Good thing I said no, because my marriage crumbled shortly thereafter and who knew a few years later I would be married again to the love of my life and desperately wanting a child with him to join our blended family even further together.

So fast forward to the summer after I remarried. I requested all my old medical records and pored over them meticulously, then made an appt with a highly regarded doctor at the University for some preconception advice.

What she told me shocked me. A uterine window is not a rupture. It refers to a very thin spot in the uterus where sometimes they can see the baby through. This could potentially raise the risk of rupture but its not a given. It's also not an emergency at all and is seen in lots of women who have had multiple pregnancies, not just prior C-sections.

I do have some legitimate risk factors which we discussed in detail, but ultimately she gave me the green light to start trying to conceive right away and said she would be my OB and watch all of the things we discussed closely. A month later, we were pregnant. I don't think any of us expected it to happen so fast, but we are glad it did.

So now here I am, nearing 6 months pregnant with no major complications. I'm feeling the baby kick all the time now, but its mostly very low since he prefers to be in the breech position almost all the time. Good thing we're planning a c section anyway because he may just stay breech, who knows. This coming Thursday I have an ultrasound to check out the baby's heart. At my 18 week ultrasound he was still a little too underdeveloped to see some of the structures they like to so we are going back. No cause for concern though, it's just routine.

I'm getting anxious to meet baby boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment